A weekly digest of gender critical news & views
Each Wednesday, this newsletter presents a roundup of the best gender critical news and content we have found in the last week, including action items such as petitions and opportunities for public comment on pending legislation.
TOP STORY: JK Rowling has published a gentle, but stunning rebuke to her critics today asking for a reasoned discussion of sex denial, detransition, and sex-based human rights without the constant threats, falsehoods, and bullying. In other words, the exact sort of public discussion that trans rights activism refuses to allow. Excerpt:
We’re living through the most misogynistic period I’ve experienced. Back in the 80s, I imagined that my future daughters, should I have any, would have it far better than I ever did, but between the backlash against feminism and a porn-saturated online culture, I believe things have got significantly worse for girls. Never have I seen women denigrated and dehumanised to the extent they are now. From the leader of the free world’s long history of sexual assault accusations and his proud boast of ‘grabbing them by the pussy’, to the incel (‘involuntarily celibate’) movement that rages against women who won’t give them sex, to the trans activists who declare that TERFs need punching and re-educating, men across the political spectrum seem to agree: women are asking for trouble. Everywhere, women are being told to shut up and sit down, or else.
- The Times (UK) has published an editorial that says Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe’s apologia “on behalf of” Rowling was “verging on emotional blackmail” … “Radcliffe should think again. His comments are, to coin a phrase, offensive and hurtful to those who cherish liberty”
- Suitable for bookmarking: a Medium post about the hateful and abusive comments directed at Rowling on Twitter for her gender thoughtcrimes
- Speaking of sex denial: Australian women are petitioning two government ministers to explain a recent decision redefining the “scientific definition” of the word woman and asking them specify which “international treaties” oblige Australia to adopt gender Lysenkoism. “If the leading authority for science in this country, has decided that any man who claims to be a woman is now scientifically considered to be a woman simply by declaring so, then what implications does this have for women and for science?” You can sign the petition here
- Meanwhile, Australia’s Health Minister wants an investigation into why nearly half of the children presenting at gender clinics are autistic
- The Scottish government is trying to sneak in “self-id” through the back door
- The Detransitioner Advocacy Network is petitioning California lawmakers to include detransition services in their fancy new “trans health fund.” As written, AB 2218 would set aside an estimated $15 million in taxpayer funds for nonprofit organizations providing transition services. This is a fantastic way to both raise the profile of detransitioners and force lawmakers to account for the risks of public funding for transition
- Now that the British NHS has altered its guidance on puberty blockers to reflect the clinical reality, Conservatives are asking their government why publicly-funded charities such as Stonewall are still allowed to lie and mislead parents on this topic
- Idaho State University sophomore athlete Madison Kenyon, who has suffered personally from the “inclusion” of men in women’s sports, is joining the defense of Idaho’s new law protecting female sports
- Jennifer Bilek says that the number of sex surgeries has quintupled in the last two decades and the sector is expected to be a $1.5 billion/year business by 2026
- Graham Linehan interviews actual Stonewall veteran Fred Sargent on the revisionist histories of transgender activism, such as “transing” dead homosexual activists posthumously in order to claim transgender people led the riots
Back with more gender bullets next week!